North District Lay Servant Academy
February 1-29, 2020 (Five Saturdays)
9:00 am to 12:15 pm EST
Evangel Heights UMC
114 N Ironwood Dr
South Bend IN
Take another step on your spiritual journey to draw closer to God and His plan for you. We are offering six classes on varying topics. Whether you are taking a step toward the Lay Servant Certification or just want to join with others in learning and fellowship as you strengthen your connection with the Lord, you will be uplifted and encouraged on your journey.
Cost: $15 per person
Payment Information: Visa and MasterCard accepted
Please print a copy of your registration for your receipt.
Check payments must be mailed within 7 days of registration. Please include a copy of your invoice with your check.
Make checks payable to INUMC
Attn: Lisa Timmerman
301 Pennsylvania Parkway, #300
Indianapolis, IN 46280
Registration deadline: January 30, 2020 at 11:59 pm
Cancellation policy: cancellations must be received via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 pm on January 30, 2020 to be eligible for a refund less processing fee. No refunds after this date.
NOTE: Students are required to purchase their own materials prior to class. Materials are available through Cokesbury.com, Amazon.com, and other online retailers.
- Basic Course - This course is required for first time attendees. Discover and employ your personal spiritual gifts as God intended. Consider the importance of exercising servant leadership. Led by Michael Rhoades; Book: Lay Servant Ministries isbn:978-0-88177-626-3; $8.50 - $11
- Leading Worship - Learn about the ministry of helping to lead a congregation in worship (not music). Focus on the parts, purpose, and traditions of a service in the UMC. Requires completion of the Basic Course. Led by Pastor Mike Settles; Book: Worshiping with United Methodists; isbn 978-0-68733-526-8; $10 - $13
- Beginning Preaching - Begin to learn tools to create faithful, engaging sermons and learn skills to gain comfort in public speaking. Led by Pastor Denny Soule; Book: From Pew to Pulpit; isbn 978-0-68706-660-5; $10 - $11
- Advanced Preaching - Dig deeper into the skills learned in Beginning Preaching. Discuss types of sermons, using the hymnal, finding a story, and more. Led by Pastor Carl Hetler; Book: From your Heart to Theirs; isbn 978-0-88177-536-5; $5 - $6; Requires the Basic Course and class size is limited.
- Leading Missional Small Groups - Learn the Wesleyan way to form missioinal communities. Holiness of heart leads to holiness of life. Communities of holy love move God's mission in the world. Requires completion of the Basic Course. Led by Carol Robinson; Book: Transforming Community; isbn 978-0-88177-754-3; $10 - $15
- Devotional Life in the Wesleyan Tradition - Learn to apply Wesley's "means of grace" to your own life. Covers prayer, Scripture, sacraments, fasting, and more. Requires completion of Basic Course. Led by TBA; Book Devotional Life in the Wesleyan Tradition (workbook); isbn 978-0-8358-0740-1; $12