The Mission and Justice Summit is an exciting opportunity for United Methodists from across Indiana to gather, learn, and share about mission and service opportunities.
During the Summit, participants will discover new ways to become more missional and to share what their churches are doing to impact their communities.
Keynote Presentation: "Create a Passion for Community Ministry in Your Church"
Our keynote speaker will be Joy Skjegstad, author of Winning Grants to Strengthen Your Ministry (Alban Institute 2007), Starting A Nonprofit At Your Church (Alban Institute 2002), and Seven Creative Models for Community Ministry (Judson Press, 2013). Joy Skjegstad is a national speaker and consultant on nonprofit management and ministry development. She has more than 30 years of experience starting and growing nonprofit organizations, including serving as the Executive Director of the Park Avenue Foundation at Park Avenue United Methodist Church and as the founder of the Institute for Ministry Leaders, a university-based training program that builds the management capacity of churches and other ministry organizations. She also served as the President of Sanctuary Community Development Corporation and has held a variety of other leadership positions with nonprofits in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.
During the registration process you will need to select one workshop for each session as follows:
Session 1 Workshops
- 1A Planning a National or International Mission Trip - Rodney Frieden
- 1 B Helping Those Recently Released from Jail and Prison - Phyllis Newton & Dawn Hopkins
- 1C Know Your Neighbors using Mission Insite - Church Development Staff - Emily Reece and Ed Fenstermacher
- 1D Forming Racial Discussion Circles - Michelle Cobb
- 1E Hidden Rules and Roadblocks that Keep People in Poverty...Proven Strategies That Help Get Them Out - David Sever
Session 2 Workshops
- 2A Ten Easy Steps to Getting to Know the Community Around Your Church - Joy Skjegstad
- 2B Building Relational Food Pantries and How to Transition to Food Co-ops - Jeff Newton
- 2C Involving Children in Mission and Outreach - Suzanne Juncker
- 2D Influence Local Officials and Advocate for Change - Dan Gangler
- 2E General Board of Global Ministries: Supporting Missionaries, The Advance, and Other Ways to Engage - Rita Gaither-Gant
Session 3 Workshops
- 3A How To Have A Successful Clothing Outreach - Linda Lewandowski and Kevin Wrigley
- 3B Disaster Response: Understanding UMCOR - Cindy Garver
- 3C Ministry With the Poor: Not Needy, But Needed - Duane Carlisle
- 3D Outreach To People and Families with Addictions - Randy Davis with A Better Life - Brianna's Hope
- 3E Ways To Engage With And Support Indiana United Methodist Youth And Children’s Homes - Paul Wagner and Representatives from Youth Homes
Session 4 Workshops
- 4A Creation Care: 10 Things Your Church Can Do Today To Care For God’s World - Dennis Shock and Amy Barnes
- 4B An Intro to Human Trafficking in Indiana - Jessica Evans with Purchased, Inc (non profit)
- 4C Involving Youth in Mission and Service - Jon Ellegood
- 4D Disaster Response: Connecting With Your Neighbors In A Disaster - Allison Curts
- 4E Therapy Animal Ministry - Jenothy Irvine
Check payments must be mailed within 7 days of registration. Please include a copy of your invoice with your check.
Make checks payable to INUMC
Attn: Lisa Timmerman
301 Pennsylvania Parkway, #300
Indianapolis, IN 46280